About this Course
Every year, thousands of Australians and visitors come to our shores to experience the joy of surfing for the first time.
The role of a Foundation Coach (formerly Level 1 Surf Coach) is to introduce beginner surfers to the sport in a safe, fun and supportive manner that goes beyond the simple instruction of skill.
First and foremost, coaches will learn the importance of safety and how to provide a safe environment through their knowledge of the ocean and their ability to identify and manage risks.
The Foundation Coaching Course consists of an online learning component and 20 hours of practical experience at a Surfing Australia affiliated surf school.
To achieve accreditation as a Foundation Coach, you will need to provide the following documents in Surfing Australia’s membership portal:
- Statement of Attainment for completion of the Foundation Coaching Course
- Current Ocean Safety qualification (Surf Rescue Certificate, Bronze Medallion or Ocean Safety Surf Coach Award)
- Current First Aid qualification (HLTAID003)
- Current CPR qualification (HLTAID001)
- Current Working With Children Check
- Completion of the Play by the Rules – Child Protection course
- Current state association membership
How To Enrol
- Login or create an account in Surfing Australia’s membership portal
- Click on Events & Courses
- Click on Training & Courses
- Click on Foundation Surf Coach