Foundation Surf Coaching Course
About this Course
Every year, thousands of Australians and visitors come to our shores to experience the joy of surfing for the first time.
The role of a Foundation Surf Coach (formerly Level 1 Surf Coach) is to introduce beginner surfers to the sport in a safe, fun and supportive manner that goes beyond the simple instruction of skill.
First and foremost, coaches will learn the importance of safety and how to provide a safe environment through their knowledge of the ocean and their ability to identify and manage risks.
The Foundation Surf Coaching Course consists of an online learning component and 20 hours of practical experience at a Surfing Australia affiliated surf school.
CLICK HERE to view the list of Surfing Australia affiliated surf schools where you can complete your practical hours.
In order to gain this accreditation you must be at least 16 years of age.
To achieve accreditation as a Foundation Surf Coach, you will need to have the following items complete on your Surfing Australia profile:
- Completion of the Foundation Coaching Course in the Surfing Learning Centre
- Current Ocean Safety qualification (Surf Life Saving Certificate, Bronze Medallion, Ocean Safety Surf Coach Award or equivalent*)
- Current First Aid qualification (HLTAID011)
- Current CPR qualification (HLTAID009)
- Current Working With Children Check
- Completion of the Child Protection and Safeguarding course in the Surfing Learning Centre
- Current state association membership
*Please note that Surfers Rescue 24/7 course does not qualify as an Ocean Safety qualification
How To Enrol
- Login or create an account in Surfing Australia’s membership portal
- Click on Events & Courses
- Click on Training & Courses
- Click on Foundation Surf Coach