Why partner with surfing?
Surfing is not just a sport, it’s one of the most desirable lifestyles in the world. With 85% of Australians living less than 50km from the coast it’s accessible to most people, and once learnt it’s a skill for life. There is momentum behind the sport in Australia from grass-roots community and participation, through the surfing events pathway, to our world-class elite athletes. Surfing’s inclusion at the Tokyo Olympics is testament to the groundswell of support of the sport globally.
For a brand, aligning with surfing in Australia means supporting a sport that is culturally relevant, inclusive and accessible; with universal appeal across all demographics including men, women, kids and families. Surfing indexes highly on female participation and is the most family-orientated sport in Australia. ** Surfing fans are more likely to over-index as healthy, active, image-conscious, social, environmentally responsible, and progressive #. According to a Gemba Report in 2019, Surfing’s perceptions are of a fun-loving and aspirational sport including ‘youthful’, ‘cool’, ‘exciting’ and ‘fun’ attributes. It’s also the 2nd most trusted sport in Australia, making it a safe environment for your brand. *
Why Surfing Australia?
Our purpose is to create a healthier and happier Australia by enriching communities through surfing. Our vision is to continue to be one of Australia’s most loved sports, creating authentic heroes and champions to inspire the next generation to learn a skill for life.
Fans love to watch our surfing events on their local beach or on media platforms like Nine and Fox Sports. They engage with original content across our social and digital channels. People of all ages learn to surf through our participation programs in order to stay healthy, connected to nature and for the positive mental health benefits.
Surfing Australia in numbers:
- 8-10k kids a year through the nudie SurfGroms program
- 114 affiliated Surf Schools nationally teaching over 250k people a year to surf
- 235 affiliated community Boardrider Clubs with over 200k members nationally
- 20+ events nationally
- 500k video views a month on our digital platforms
- 660k social footprint (6th largest NSO)
- 5k accredited judges & coaches through our world-class surf coaching & judging platform
Ways to Partner With Us
We are proud to have the support of our commercial sponsors and partners, whom through their support, make it possible for us to share the stoke of surfing in Australia. We have opportunities for brands to support participation programs, our local and national event series as well as our original content including:
- Integration into surfing events from SurfGroms Comps to the Australian Boardriders Battle to the Australian Surfing Awards featuring the Hall of Fame.
- Support of our women’s participation program
- Connection with community through the Boardrider club and Surf Schools network
- Custom surf content creation and promotion
- Bespoke branded and native content
- Social and digital amplification
- Athlete and influencer partnerships
*Source: Roy Morgan Single Source – Sports Net Trust Score survey 2019
** Source: Nielson Sports FanLinks Australia 16+, 2019; Comparing Surfing with Cricket, Football, AFL, Rugby League, Tennis & Netball.
#Source: Nielson Sports FanLinks Australia 16+, 2019;